Fop.

I was faced with a choice, at a difficult age. Would I write a book, or should I take to the stage

Sunday, February 19

FOP SYMPOSIUM 2005: REVIEW #14



A good natured woman, La Nadine. She put up with a very long wait for her painstakingly close reading of The Little Trees' "Help, I'm A Fish! (I'm A Little Yellow Fish)" to be placed up on here, but she also allowed/encourage us to jiggle her ample bosomry one night late last year at The Napier in a comedy display of burlesque. What an odd evening THAT was. Anyway, LOOK WHAT SHE HAS DONE HERE can you: an amazing line-by-line! Let's get ANALYTICAL! (This contribution is, we might needlessly point out, one of the most hilarious things we have ever read on the topic of Danish pop.) (What's it all about? An explanation of sorts is here.)

REVIEW BY LA NADINE FROM NADSTOWN

It is come to my attention that lovers of the fine art of Swedish pop - among them distinguished musicians such as Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas and the honourable Peter “Jordan’s Bitch” Andre – may miss the deep and complex metaphors existing just beneath the surface of this not-at-all-repetitive-or-wrist-slashingly-annoying tune.

This is a song of profound intellect and integrity. It is a theme song for the disenfranchised; A rallying of the marginalized masses; An SOS for anyone who has ever felt the sting of depression piercing through their skin.

It is NOT simply a song about a little yellow fish in distress(as indicated by the title). No, my friends, the implications are MUCH BIGGER than that.

Thus, for the benefit of all (and sundry), I now present to you:

‘Help, I’m A Fish! - A Close Reading of the Text’.

I’m a little yellow fish, in the deep blue sea. Won’t somebody help me?

This to me represents the identity crisis of foreigner in a new land. An immigrant, asylum seeker, or even terrorist, struggling to find belonging in a strange place.

Or perhaps it is the voice of happiness (represented by yellow – the colour of smiles), trapped in a soul dominated by depression (”deep blue sea”).

I’m a little yellow fish, in the deep blue sea. Won’t somebody help me?

Repetition is used to compound the protagonist’s anguish.

Do you wanna know how living is beneath the waves?

Do you wanna know how everything I knew has changed?


“Living beneath the waves” – has there ever been a more obvious cry for help? A more blatant display of suicidal urges? Well, HAS THERE?

This “little fish” is clearly in some sort of transitional period, a period of life adjustment and soul searching for which he/she is deeply resentful. Perhaps, as mentioned before, he/she has moved house/state/country. Perhaps he/she is undergoing gender reassignment. Or perhaps he/she is entering puberty, a most difficult and confusing time for anyone.

It wasn’t such a big commotion! All it took was magic potion!

With a wriggle, a twist, a splash and a splish – you’re a fish! Help me!


However it could just be a song about the effects of psychedelic drugs, most likely liquid acid. This theory is evidenced by the mention of the “magic potion”, and later by the identity confusion: “You’re a fish! Help me!”

Hmmmm….

Do you wanna take a whale bus wanna meet a stupid shark?

Do you wanna ride seahorse or hide in an oyster park?

The drugs theory is holding up well in the second verse.

But them again, perhaps this is a homage to the most famous of all acid-praising tunes. Which tune, you ask? Here’s a hint:

“Picture yourself in a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies…”

Methinks the Little Trees might just be hardcore Beatles fans.

It wasn’t such a big commotion! All it took was magic potion!

With a wriggle, a twist, a splash and a splish – you’re a fish! Help me!


Repetition. So strong. So poignant.

Help, help me! I need a remedy!

Help me, help me!

Help, help me! I need a remedy!

Help me, help me!


Our fishy friend is starting to come down now. ‘Why? Why do I keep doing this to myself?’ he/she thinks. ‘I’m never taking drugs again, I swear’.

Life is strange at the bottom of the ocean!

Won’t believe the things you see.

Stay ashore, don’t give in to notions – if you don’t wanna be like me!


After a stint in rehab, where he/she waxed philosophical for a few months with Pete Doherty and surprisingly Rebecca Hewett, the little has embarked on a worldwide crusade against the evils of hallucinogens.

“Stay ashore, don’t give in to notions – if you don’t wanna be like me!” – DON’T TAKE DRUGS, KIDS!

I’m a little yellow fish, in the deep blue sea. Won’t somebody help me? (won’t somebody help me?)

I’m a little yellow fish, in the deep blue sea. Won’t somebody help me? (won’t somebody help me?)

I’m a little yellow fish, in the deep blue sea. Won’t somebody help me? (won’t somebody help me?)

I’m a little yellow fish, in the deep blue sea. Won’t somebody help me? (won’t somebody help me?)


I believe I’ve covered all the main points. Now he/she is just repeating him/herself for dramatic effect.

A little self indulgent (and chipmunk-esque) for my liking.

(Little yellow fish! Deep blue sea! Won’t somebody, won’t somebody help me?)

I’m a little yellow fish, in the deep blue sea. Won’t somebody help me? (won’t somebody help me?)


The inability to construct full sentences anymore indicates a relapse to me. Its back to rehab for you, Fishy McTrashbag.

The end.

Sorry.

La Nadine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home