Fop.

I was faced with a choice, at a difficult age. Would I write a book, or should I take to the stage

Wednesday, August 15

TIME TO GROW UP



I'm quitting this place for a while. I will almost certainly be back sometimes when I have something pop-related to bang on about, but I guess I am in a new phase of my life and I need to write some other things, not just about pop music, and I feel like I have painted myself into a bit of a corner with this blog. And I don't know if I even need to write about music anymore; there are so many better-informed people with more to say who are far more erudite and clever than I. Patrick. Adem. Edward. Claire and Alyson. It's also arguable that my work here is more or less done, because Robyn is shockingly at number 1 in the UK singles chart this week. I hope this is the harbinger of a new pop cycle where quality European pop is cherished by everyone. It's probably not. But there is an undeniably nice symmetry to my timing.

I'm going to have a new blog and I will concentrate on that. I think I need to grow as a writer and I also want to try to be honest with my words, for once in my life. I want to tell stories about what has been happening to me in the past year or so. Some of it is a bit scandalous and thrilling, and some of it will appear dull. But I want to write about it. The new blog won't be connected to Fop, but if you want to read it, just email me and I'll hook you up once it's going.

Finally: isn't the new Girls Aloud video a brilliant work of art? I have seen eyelashes like those on a guy working the MAC counter in a Parisian department store called Printemps. His were even bigger than the GA ones, and they gave me a lot to think about. They actually made me reevaluate my own existence. Just for a moment.



Will
xx

14 Comments:

At 3:29 pm, Blogger Woodsman said...

RIP Fop.
A place of so many laughs and hysterical insight.

Looking forward to checking out the new digs!

 
At 3:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will this is v sad. Please tell me what the new blog is.

 
At 10:37 pm, Blogger Fop said...

Oh come now. It isn't goodbye forever. I will be back on here at some stage, I promise. I was missing it already this morning and having a 'what have I DONE' moment. But my new blog is going to be REALLY FUCKEN GOOD. And serious 'proper' writing...
xx

 
At 12:35 pm, Blogger Scott said...

Terrible news! "Growing as a writer". Hmmm. Perhaps I should take a leaf out of your book, then turn it over.

As for Girls Aloud: don't you think they look like they're in a TDK ad?

 
At 12:45 am, Blogger Adem With An E said...

:(

I completely understand though. It seems like blog-moves are on the cards for a few people in 2007...

 
At 10:05 am, Blogger Derek said...

Will!
It's 'Derek' from ye olde Say Hey. Have to admit I haven't checked out Fop in quite a while. I'm glad to see you're moving on though and I'd love to see the new blog when you start it.

Cheerio!

 
At 9:29 pm, Blogger Hules said...

I just assumed the eyelashes were to divert attention from their faces, emphasis on Nicola.

I haven't popped in for a long time, and when I do, it's goodbye.

Goodluck!

 
At 12:00 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hello,

My name is Marion Bishop and I'm the webmaster of www.pinhole-glasses-direct.com

Would you be interested in writing an unbiased review of our product?

If you are, we can send you a free sample of the product which we would like you to review, and it is free of any shipping charges.

Feel free to contact me at pohsibnioram@gmail.com

Best regards,

Marion Bishop

 
At 1:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do wish you'd come back and write here again, darling man.

xx

 
At 6:50 pm, Blogger Guy said...

Start writing again, please!

 
At 10:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting blog

 
At 7:39 pm, Anonymous dziecko said...

nie do końca się z tym zgadzam

 
At 1:20 am, Anonymous arko said...

Deportacje są z pewnością do pomyślenia - powiedział Maas w wywiadzie dla grupy prasowej Funke. Wyjaśnił, że niemieckie prawo pozwala na deportowanie osób w trakcie procedury azylowej, o ile zostaną oni skazani za przestępstwo na co najmniej rok pozbawienia wolności. http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57368
http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57370
http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57374
http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57378
http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57386
http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57388
http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57396
http://www.tocojestwnas.fora.pl/wszystk ... html#57400

 
At 1:25 am, Anonymous jutro said...

Chyba sobie zartujesz, po co skoro pieniadze dostaja za nic, wiec wolny czas moga poswiecic na robienie dzieci, ktore kiedys zaleja Europe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home